Friday, June 10, 2011

Ways In and Out (Poem)

Ways In and Out

Birth to death
follows no one road.
Slow or fast
matters not.
Divine where my eyes speed first,
breath catches, heart syncs:

My passion's
for what's never claimed
another's
guiding light,
to see shadows not as dark
but ways in and out.

© 2011 Maureen E. Doallas
_______________________

I'm participating in the #Trust30 challenge, an online writing/reflection initiative for which a prompt is posted daily. All of the prompts to date are here.

Today's poem is my response to the 11th prompt from writer and photographer, activist and thinker Fabian Kruse:

Imitation is Suicide. Insist on yourself; never imitate. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Write down in which areas of your life you have to overcome these suicidal tendencies of imitation, and how you can transform them into a new-born you ~ one that doesn't hide its uniqueness, but thrives on it. There is a "divine idea which each of us represents"; which is yours?

* * * 

My responses to prompts to date, all in the forms of poems, are:

Getting the Rhythm

What You Imagine

Let Me Tell You

Unreal

Words to Live By

Birthplace

Answer in Time

Giving Meaning to Others

Zigzag

Fifteen Minutes to Count Down

4 comments:

Diane Walker said...

I really like this one, Maureen. You never cease to amaze me... Such a fresh eye!

Ruth said...

I've spent many ego-attached moments and days comparing myself with other writers. We each shine a light into a new room for one another, as only we can do.

Anonymous said...

it does
matter
how one looks
at things

S. Etole said...

I wonder sometimes how possible that is ...