Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Columbus was discovered (Cento)

Columbus was discovered

The night I burn my novel
Smoke polkas above the pines
Because a fire was in my head
And someone called me by my name
By what he found
Strewn by hands:

Treasures, gone missing

I went out to the hazel wood
Up the lift shaft of the air
Without branches or roots
Or even a sky to hold on to

Our lit cage rising weightless
With lights
That touched all of her

Every intersection is a promise, fabulous
Things
Redden and ripen and burst and come down

Though I am old with wandering
Would ransom the fading hours
I had a latecomer's
Right, to live life out
Reflecting

I crept home to sweet common flowers
Cupped hands lighthouses of flight
The road a ribbon of moonlight over the purple moor
___________________________________________

This is a revision of a cento I wrote and left in the somments section of the TweetSpeak Poetry post "Top Ten 'Dip Into Poetry' Lines". Capitalization and punctuation is my own.

Here are the sources of the lines, in order:

Title "Imagination" by James Baldwin

1 "Nature's Gold" by Dave Malone
2 "Nature's Gold" by Dave Malone
3 "The Song of the Wandering Aengus" by W.B. Yeats
4 "The Song of the Wandering Aengus" by W.B. Yeats
5 "Imagination" by James Baldwin
6 "Taken" by LW Lindquist
7 "Taken" by LW Lindquist
8 "The Song of  the Wandering Aengus" by W.B. Yeats
9 "Opera Bouffe" by Philip Gross
10 "Gathering Leaves in Grade School" by Judith Harris
11 "Gathering Leaves in Grade School" by Judith Harris
12 "Opera Bouffe" by Philip Gross
13 "Traffic in Phoenix" by Claire McQuerry
14 "Taken" by LW Lindquist
15 "Traffic in Phoenix" by Claire McQuerry
16 "Late Summer" by Jennifer Grotz
17 "Late Summer" by Jennifer Grotz
18 "The Song of the Wandering Aengus" by W.B. Yeats
19 "That the mistle thrush" by John Daniel Thieme
20 "Raisins for Being" by Roald Hoffman
21 "Raisins for Being" by Roald Hoffman
22 "Raisins for Being" by Road Hoffman
23 "Across the Border" by Sophie Jewett
24 "Constellations" by Andrew McFadyen-Ketchum
25 "The Highwayman" by Alfred Noyes

The TweetSpeak Poetry post contains the links to text of all the poems.

Although I included in the comments cento Sara Teasdale's "I ween the knights forgot their words / Or else  they ceased to care", from "A Ballad of the Two Knights", I elected not to include them in the cento here.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Maureen, your talent just amazes me sometimes. That you left this in the comments at TSP just leaves me speechless. Lovely, as always.